The construction area of the FCC Group increases revenues by 12.6% in the first nine months of the year
The construction area of the FCC Group has increased revenue by 12.6% during the first nine months of the year, reaching 1,362.6 million euros. The good performance of income is explained by the correct and positive progress of the projects started, as well as the increase in activities in the international projects awarded.
In Spain, turnover stood at 622.5 million euros, 4.8% lower than the same period in 2021, offset by the 18% increase in Europe, with 335.7 million euros, mainly due to the greater contribution of motorway projects in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom (A-9 and A-465, respectively), which offset completed projects such as the Haren prison in Belgium. In Latin America and Canada, revenues increased by an outstanding 90.6%, with 292.8 million euros, which is mainly explained by the greater contribution of the construction of the Mayan Train in Mexico, as well as other projects, such as the one started in Canada .
The gross operating result reflected the increase in income to reach 86.5 million euros.
The operating margin remains stable, standing at 6.3%, with a slight increase compared to the same period of the previous year.
For its part, the income portfolio at the end of the third quarter was 6,081.2 million euros, with a notable growth of 52.7% compared to the end of 2021, which occurs both in national and international activity. In Spain, with an increase of 42.6%, the construction of a section within the Mediterranean railway corridor as it passes through Murcia or the new Puertollano Hospital, among other works, is added.
Internationally, this is where the greatest progress is made, of 58.1%, when registering the important construction project of the tunnels of the new city of NEOM in Saudi Arabia together with the previous ones obtained in previous quarters, such as the RER project‐ 3 in Canada, the Sotra bridge in Norway and the already mentioned range increases in the Mayan Train and the Riyadh Metro.
Operational Milestones and Hiring
- In Spain, the contracting of a section of the platform of the Mediterranean railway corridor as it passes through the town of Totana (Murcia) for 106.7 million euros stands out, together with last January for the work of the new Puertollano Hospital for 96 million euros. The work will have 50,000 square meters dedicated to assistance and 30,000 more for parking.
- For its part, FCC Industrial has won lot 1 of the contract for public lighting maintenance services from the Madrid City Council, for 25.5 million euros and a term of three years.
- Last March, the consortium in which FCC Construcción participated (50%) was ranked first for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of a commuter rail network in the metropolitan area of the city of Toronto (Canada) . The project has a total budget of more than 4,000 million euros; It is noteworthy that the award and execution will be progressive according to agreement between the parties. As of September 30, the amount incorporated into the portfolio is 171 million euros.
- FCC Construcción (35%), in consortium with the Italian Webuild (35%) and the Korean SK ecoplant (30%) has been awarded the design and construction of the Sotra Link project in Norway. This is the construction of the RV 555 Sotrasambandet motorway, which will link the island of Sotra, in the province of Hordaland, with the city of Bergen. Sotra Link is part of the PPP Sotra Connection project awarded by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration (NPRA). It is the largest road infrastructure contract in the history of Norway and has a global budget of close to 1,230 million euros that will be implemented through a public-private collaboration model.
- Last June, a consortium led by FCC Construcción won the contract to build the first tunnels for high-speed and freight railways, as well as the 28-kilometre-long underpasses in the new city of Neom (Saudi Arabia). for an amount of 734.5 million euros.
- Last February, a modification to the Mayan Train construction contract was signed in Mexico, updating the execution period and amount for an additional value of more than 250 million euros.