Ecodesign of Haren Prison (Belgium)
Description of the Environmental Measure
The design and construction of Haren Prison was undertaken by integrating into the project concept measures to improve energy performance and mitigate climate change, with a major component of energy efficiency and renewable energy sources.
- Use of solar panels for the power supply
- Geothermal-energy storage system:
- There are 250 drill holes for storing cold or heat or for direct extraction of energy from the ground.
- This is one of the largest systems of this type in Belgium.
- Energy co-generation installations:
- First, these generate electricity.
- The residual heat produced is also used to supply hot water for the prison.
This innovative energy concept will avoid the emission of more than 2.000 t CO2 per year.